Friday 12 June 2009

Reason For This Blog and First Review

The idea for this blog spawned after a trip to Alton Tower theme park in Staffordshire, after going on a ride called "Air" (possible review further down) I was quite disappointed and my friend Nathan joked that I review everything in life and I responded jokingly that maybe I should start a blog. So here it is, "The Life Reviewer", reviewing life one day at a time (or thereabouts).

The format the reviews will take are still a mystery even to me, they'll start short I'm guessing and wont be all that long.

Air

So "Air", a horizontal roller coaster in which you lie on your front and you're supposed to feel the sense that you are flying. Luckily we went on a Sunday so the queues weren't that long and I must say thank heavens for that, after a short 10 minute or so wait we sat down in the seats and were promptly fastened in, the chairs then are pulled up so you are essentially lying on your front. The cart went off and we slowly ascended an incline, looking down we could see people smiling and looking up waving, I was getting excited at this point and was ready to be blown away as I was about to go on my first big roller coaster.

The climb reached it's peak and we descended at speed hurtling over the track and seeing the surrounding park in a whiz, I was ready for it, I was laughing as we were entered the first barrel roll and we were "flying" on out backs, we straightened out, hit a bank and entered another roll. I must say by this point I was really really really enjoying it and was looking forward to what else my body was going to be put through. Then that was it. It was over, I felt no sense of enjoyment, no thrill. I looked over to Nathan with a grin on his face and I asked "Is that it?", with his face still grinning he responded yes and my face just dropped. It wasn't enthralling, it wasn't amazing, it wasn't a new feeling. The cart came to a stop and we got off, collected our things and sat in the shade for a bit deciding on where to go next.

The overall sense I felt as the ride came to a stop was a general feeling of apathy towards the ride, it was bigged up and talked about by everyone. The hype surrounding the ride was too great and in my eyes was its own downfall. Talking to people about the ride it would appear (to the people I've talked to atleast) that I'm on my own in my view of the ride. I was left feeling cheated, let down and severely dissappointed but this all amazing new sensation roller coaster. To end it I think it says something that I enjoyed a ride ("Hex") that essentially was a row of chairs in a room that is made to appear to be rotating giving the feeling that you are spinning, and not the room.

So ends my first review, do I use a point scale? My own quirky version of stars? I really don't know but a 10 point scale makes sense to me. So, this mass of words condensed down to a number.

Air - 3.3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment