Saturday 20 June 2009

The Best Time to Blog

Entering the blogsphere (do people still say that?) once again with the time currently at stupid:o'clock.am, A few things could be reviewed, an evening of fire, buying a salad with James, finding Russell and Laura in the super market that led to another salad or even few episodes of Harry Hill's TV Burp.

But of the things I've seen/tasted/witnessed/played I think a meal shall suffice for this post. More specifically, a three course meal.

Amie's Three Course Meal

I was phoned last week by a friend asking if we want to do a mini version of "Come Dine With Me", so straight away I was up for it. The chance to have a two, three course meals cooked for me and in turn cook one myself will all ways be a hit with me. Food is really a true weakness of mine.

First course kicked off with seasoned and spiced Spanish prawns, my god they were tasty. The mix of spice with garlic was a taste that was very apparent and rather delicious, a fairly good sized portion too, bought out with the green-ness of a simple salad made it a wonderful starter(a hunk of ovenroasted garlic was also a tasty treat). My only complaint about this dish was that that maybe it could have been presented a bit better. To Amie's defence we're students cooking dishes that are out of our comfort zones and sometimes new to us all together, so that's fairly nit-picky of me. Also Amie didn't like it so more for me, om nom nom nom.

Starter 8.1/10

The main was a Spanish chicken pie, the keen ones amongst you may have noticed a theme here ;). This was a dish of chicken, tomatoes and peppers baked in the oven with a layer of mash potato on top. Again it was all very tasty but I think the sauce could have been cooked a bit longer on the hob as the tomatoes and onion didn't taste as if they've been softened by the heat too much as they still had crunch bordering on the under done side. That aside it was again very nice, the mash was lump free too which is more that I could do!

Main 6.9/10

To round off the meal we ended on a not so Spanish note with a homemade blueberry cheesecake. What more is there to say? It's cheesecake, you can't fault it. It was neither too sweet nor too bitter and the portion size was just right. The spoons were a bit odd though, you could only really eat half of what you scooped up!

Dessert 8.6/10

Meal as a Whole 7.9/10

So the meal came to an end as did my glass of wine. The wine was fitting to the Spanish theme, it stated off nice and pleasent but the more I drank the more it tasted like a thin syrup and was ultimatly a bit too sweet for me. With my belly full and ideas rushing through my mind it dawned on me that I would be cooking soon. Today! In fact in about 12 hours I'll be attempting my first Timpana and fruit strudel! I also look forward to Nathan's attempt and the wonders he will cook. I really can't wait! Read here soon for my thoughts on how my meal will turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment